Friday, December 5, 2008

Double Knock-Out!

I love it when good works and good fun come together, especially at this time of the year!

Here's a charity event that I am really excited to tell you about. Let me say that again. I'm pumped about an upcoming mma tournament, [correction, Brazilian jui jitsu tournament] right here in Houston! I'm hoping my own
MMA will throw his hat in the ring so I can watch him fight.

Elite Martial Arts, which is the only real game in town for serious students of mixed martial arts, is having a charity event to help one of their own. An Elite student, Mike DeAses, a father to four young boys, is the beneficiary of this tournament. The money raised will help with medical bills related to his pancreatic tumor. That's the good works part of the deal.

The fun part is getting to watch some fiery amateurs like my MMA grapple, scrap and throw down -- so close you can smell the sweat! Kids and women are also encouraged to participate! There will be a "bookie" on site taking wagers and winnings will go to the medical fund.

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen a good "girl" fight...I mean a REALLY good girl fight since high school. Maybe college. In any case, its been a while.

All the action happens Sat. December 13th beginning at 3:30 pm. The location is 10640 Westheimer Houston , TX 77042.

Tickets are just three bucks!!! You can't touch a diet coke at any kind of sporting event these days for $3.

There will be a Karaoke competition with some local champions in that sport. Also there will be a raffle for an X box and other cool stuff, followed by a potluck meal after all the fights.

Doesn't that sound like exceptional family entertainment?

Now I know that some people are against fighting, but this is a sporting and clean-cut way to do it. And as I am learning, men have all this extra pent up fizz that they have to get rid of some kind of way, lest they boil over. Or is that just in this house? Even the three year old needs serious exertion, although here's where my double-standard kicks in: no fighting for Only Child.

I'm not suiting up to fight either. One of these days I'll let MMA recount my attempted-suicidal girl fight back when we were in college. He probably saved me from getting double black eyes, as my opponent had a significant size advantage. If "less drunk" is an advantage, then that's what I had. And I had my Bonfire boots going for me. Does anyone else remember Hurricane Harry's as fondly as I do? Good times, I tell ya...

Ohh, I can't wait for this tournament; I hope to see you there! I'm semi-retired, but could possibly be provoked...

8 comments:

Aggie2percenter said...

Very cool babe! One correction though, it's a Jiu Jitsu tournament, not full out MMA. Very cool of you to post this!

jmt said...

You're stronger than I am....the only "fighting" I can take is professional boxing. LOL I just cringe when I see people getting pummeled or kicked...and real fights seriously make me feel like I have a softball in my throat. The violence is just....too much for me. *shiver*

Girly Stuff said...

So is MMA entering?

Yes, the last good girl fight I saw was in our high school's lunch line. Ahhh, the memories.

Megan said...

My husband is so into UFC and the Ultimate Fighter on Spike TV.

Anonymous said...

Fab blog Lilly!

MMA is tough, always has been. We'll be at the tourney, J&J want to see MMA in action.

Keep writing this is soooo good!
xoxo ~Julie

Shiloah Baker said...

LOL! Tooooo funny!

May I say how much I just love your blog? It is amusing and a breath of fresh air! :)

I would love to feature your butt burners on my website. Email me if that ok! pinkginghamom at yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

How fun!

Anonymous said...

i actually love all your writing way, very attractive,
don't give up and keep creating because it just that is worth to look through it.
excited to view a whole lot more of your current content articles, have a great day!